Colel Chabad – A Brief History
Colel Chabad was established in 1788 and has operated without interruption ever since. As such it is the oldest continuously operating Tzedakah network in Israel. Colel Chabad was created by Rabbi Schneur Zalman of Liadi, founder of the Chabad-Lubavitch movement, also known as the Alter Rebbe and the Baal HaTanya.
The raison d'etre of Colel Chabad remains unchanged since its founding – to provide meaningful material help - especially food - to the poorest Jews living in the Holy Land, and to do so without compromising their pride and dignity. Colel Chabad continues to help those in need regardless of their age, gender, background or degree of religious observance.
For over 229 years Colel Chabad has been the personal Charitable Trust of each succeeding Lubavitcher Rebbe – making it the preeminent charitable mission of Chabad Lubavitch, and testimony to the overriding importance the movement places on aiding Jews in distress in Israel.
Colel Chabad works hand in glove with municipal governments throughout Israel who help identify and screen those who require assistance. Colel Chabad also works with the Israel Defense Forces - both repurposing and distributing army surplus food, and serving as the rear echelon emergency food distribution system especially in times of war.
Colel Chabad is by far the largest charitable organization of its kind in Israel, and is proud that other organizations have recently begun to emulate its programs.
For two centuries, Jewish families have kept a Colel Chabad Pushka (coin box) in their homes. This tradition continues, and a free Colel Chabad pushka is yours for the asking.